M6: Manage construction waste responsibly
Simple construction site management practices can significantly reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills. The reuse and recycling of construction and demolition waste also conserves resources and saves money.
- Include a construction waste management plan in specifications
- Provide a waste reduction, recycling, and disposal plan during construction and operation
- Salvage brick, wood flooring, windows, doors, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, mechanical and electrical equipment, duct work, framing lumber, hardware, wiring, piping, and other materials for reuse on-site or resale
- Recycle construction waste that cannot be reused or sold for reuse as-is
- Reuse packaging material or return to suppliers or manufacturers (Goal: at least 50% of all packaging materials
Publications and Links